A couple weekends ago I took Juliet to the apple orchard with my sister Kat and her husband Drew (my sister is kind of an apple snob and knows of all the best orchards around the Twin Cities). It was a gorgeous day and Juliet had a blast walking between the apple trees and picking apples. They were only allowing picking of Cortland apples, which worked out well because they are delicious and perfect for baking (because they aren’t too juicy and are the prefect balance of tart and sweet).
So apple donuts were a natural baking adventure shortly after that orchard trip. We picked about 10 pounds of apples after all. Plus, as of last weekend, I still wasn’t quite ready to dive into all things pumpkin. I mean…technically fall didn’t even start until this week. And it is going to feel like summer this weekend in MN with temps in the 80′s. So pumpkin didn’t feel right yet. But I’m sure the craze will begin soon.
So about these donuts…I made them mini because I have terrible self control and the only donut pan I have is a mini. I also made mini muffins with this batter which were a huge hit.
These donuts (and muffins) were moist, appley-flavored goodness. I served them for dessert last Sunday when Erik and I had my whole family over and everyone raved.
Everyone loves a good close up of a sugary donut
The lighting wasn’t the greatest when I was shooting these donuts but I ended up liking the slightly darker tones. It feels more like fall.
These apple donuts are wonderfully versatile. They are a great snack with milk, an awesome pastry to accompany brunch, or even dessert after a cozy, fall meal. Enjoy!
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 1½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1½ T ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
- ¼ cup unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- ½ cup buttermilk
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce, from jar
- 1½ cup fresh apple, peeled and grated
- For the Coating:
- unsweetened applesauce, from jar
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 T ground cinnamon
- dash of ground nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 375.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, salt, baking soda, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- In another large bowl, stir together melted butter, eggs, sugar, buttermilk and applesauce. Stir in fresh apple.
- Add ⅓ of the flour mixture to the egg mixture and stir. Add another ⅓ of flour mixture and stir. Add remaining flour and stir just until combined.
- Spoon batter into a large ziplock bag or piping bag. Seal and snip the corner off one end. Squeeze batter into the cavities of a mini donut pan sprayed with non-stick baking spray. Fill each cavity ⅔ to ¾ of the way full.
- Bake at 375 for 10 minutes. Let cool 5 minutes before removing from pan.
- For the outside coating, combine sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg in a bowl. Brush each donut with a light coating of applesauce. Then dip into cinnamon sugar and toss to coat.
- Let cool completely before eating.
- Note, if you are making mini muffins, I used mini muffin liners and baked for 12 minutes.