I am a huge fan of making homemade crackers. They are super easy and taste way better than store-bought. Now that Juliet is a fan of crackers for snacks, I’ve been wanting to make homemade versus giving her the little cheddar Annie’s bunnies. Not that there is anything wrong with those, but I feel better giving her these crackers when I know there are only several ingredients, and pretty healthy ingredients at that.
About to go into the oven
I spotted these crackers on Weelicious (I’m a big fan of her recipes). I’ve had a lot of good luck with recipes for Juliet including this homemade graham cracker recipe, these mini frittatas and these banana peanut butter muffins.I used a mini and medium size heart fondant cutter to get these cute little cracker shapes.
These are the medium sized hearts
Juliet ate a bunch of these as soon as they cooled down. She kept saying “moooeeee, moooooeeee” (more) and loved dipping them in hummus. The adorable mini hearts
This recipe made about 3 dozen medium sized heart crackers and a huge handful of mini hearts.
Wheat germ parmesan crackers (recipe via Weelicious)
- 3/4 cup wheat germ
- 3/4 cup white whole wheat flour (I didn’t have white whole wheat flour so I used half white flour and half wheat flour)
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, cut into cubes and chilled
- 1/4 cup water
- Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- Place the wheat germ, flour, cheese and salt in a food processor and pulse to combine.
- Add the butter and pulse until the mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Add the water and continue to pulse until the dough comes together.
- Remove the dough from the food processor, shape into a disk, and roll out between two pieces of parchment paper to 1/4 – 1/2 inch thick.
- Cut dough into 2-inch square crackers, or use your favorite small cookie cutters to cut dough into shapes.
- Place the crackers on a Silpat or parchment-lined baking sheet and bake for 15-18 minutes, until golden brown.